Australia is slowly waking up to a little publicised ALP policy about “cleaning up the internet to protect our children”. Once again it seems to be a case of apply the most ineffective and intrusive means possible. No-one is saying that we don’t want kids to be safe. The overly simplistic gainsaying of our new senator for Internet Censorship, Stephen Conroy, and the suggestion that anyone challenging the plan is somehow suspect or dismissive of the issues of child safety are quite insulting and counter to a healthy public debate.
A Facebook community is just now being established to try to tell the government that many Australians think the Australian ISP Filtering plan is Stupid!
The KEVIN07 campaign was predicated on the catch phrase “Have your say”- let’s see if they still want to hear from us – even if we aren’t lining up to buy the shirt.
The group encourages some simple actions:
- Write to your ISP now and preempt the legislation requesting that they:
- Protest the proposal;
- Never implement any filtering on your account.
- Contact the ALP, the Australian Government and Senator Stephen Conroy to express your concerns about the proposed legislation.
- The official Australian Government Home Page http://www.australia.gov.au/
- Stephen Conroy’s Myspace page http://www.myspace.com/stephenconroy
- Stephen Conroy’s official governmental home page http://www.senatorconroy.com/index.html
- The Australian Labor Party home page http://www.alp.org.au
- Send your protests to his Ministerial email address: email@example.com
Let the Minister know how you feel – contact him at:
Canberra ACT 2600
Tel: (02) 6277 3295
Fax: (02) 6277 3317
4 Treasury Place
Melbourne VIC 3002
Tel: (03) 9650 1188
Fax: (03) 9650 3251
Or act now and send a message:
Blogged with Flock